Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Is there a risk of transmitting HIV, chlamydia or herpes by casual contact?

I found a woman's confusion on the website :
Hi, I am very concerned about me and my 2 year old son.

We are both living with my sister who is having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive man. So far she has been recently pregnant with this mans baby and had and abortion.

I’m mostly concerned about her coming home after 2 days and kissing my son because she never brushes her teeth and I know she has clamidia and herpes simplex.

Answer:
HIV and chlamydia are sexually transmitted infections, and are not spread by casual contact, so your baby is not at risk.

Herpes is also generally a sexually transmitted infection, but can sometimes be passed by casual contact. For example if your sister has a cold sore which she touches and then touches the baby. Brushing her teeth will make no difference but washing her hands will stop this risk...read more

No comments: